Saturday 22 April 2017

Bunny model comparisons


Right. Now that I have your attention - and have no doubt attracted some attention from unusual fetishists - lets talk bunnies. 28mm bunnies to be exact. I wanted to get a few rabbits to serve as 'critters' for Palaeo Diet: Eat or be Eaten. Critters are not placed on the table during setup, but there is a chance than hunters moving into or through certain landscape features may flush them out.

I have ordered (so far) two different packs of nominally 28mm rabbits, but I have also identified a number of other suppliers where these charismatic wee pests are currently available. This listing may not be exhaustive, but it should get the idea across that there is a lot out there and both the cost and quality of the sculpts varies dramatically.


 
Warbases
£1.75 for five bunnies. I ordered these bunnies for the craic on Easter Sunday. That's what started my current search because, although they are nice wee sculpts, they are definitely wee. I'm not sure how big I was expecting them to be given the price, but lets just say that they are realistically scaled for 28mm figures. Not a lot of eating on them. I'm not convinced that they will work with my 20mm exaggerated hunters (as in the second picture), and so my quest continues...
____________


Scotia Grendel
£5 for three bunnies. These guys remind me of the bunnies in Aardman's Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I have ordered some because I thought the exaggerated and comic like features may suit my prehistoric hunters although they may not be to everybody's taste. The photo is also tiny, so hard to say much else. 

EDIT - See how we got on HERE.
____________


Black Cat Bases 
£2 for four bunnies. In the first picture from the Black Cat website they look a bit like Blackavar from Watership Down. In the second picture (from Tim's painted bunnies found HERE) they look completely different...
____________


Bad Squiddo Games (currently on pre-order for May 2017)
£6 for eight bunnies. These look great - there are also guinea pigs already available and cats coming soon too. £1 from all purchases will be donated to a bunny rescue organisation.
____________


Mirlton
2.31 Euros for five hares. Technically not bunnies, but close enough!
____________


Reaper
US$10.99 for one bunny. A great sculpt with loads of character, but hugely overpriced if all you want is the bunny - especially if you then add on the daylight robbery USP prices to the UK as well. Might be worthwhile if you want the other critters and are already placing an order large enough to justify the postage.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. This is the sort of hard-hitting in-depth research the wargaming blog world needs.

    I'm not being sarcastic, it's excellent and makes me want to buy bunnies for... uh... maybe skirmish games? Do I even have any games where they'd be useful? Maybe make a rabbit pen for a small post-apoc farm or something, then, that's what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh... Those Black Cat Bases ones look a lot different! They must have remastered theirs since I ordered mine. I think the heads may have broken off a few of them - perhaps complaints of such prompted them to remaster them...?

    ReplyDelete